In recent years, the advances in laser and light treatments have created multiple avenues for folks interested in managing aging without surgery. Some experts predict that surgical procedures like facelift surgery will decrease substantially in the coming years due to the immense rejuvenating power of laser and light treatments. In our Westport, CT dermatology practice, we have several devices that provide nonsurgical tissue rejuvenation. Understandably, more choices may actually mean more confusion. Here, we discuss how to feel more confident exploring the laser and light treatments that may be right for you.
Where to Begin
Because laser devices are sprouting up so quickly these days, it can be difficult to avoid looking at each for unique benefits and potential limitations. We may hear of a new device and wonder “does that treatment hurt?” “Is there downtime?” These are good questions but ones that need to be asked only once a device has been identified as a good fit. How do you find a good fit? You look at your needs.
Before considering the details of any laser or light treatment, think about what it is you want to achieve. Not all technologies are created for the same purpose. Some lasers target unwanted hair, some break up the ink in a tattoo. Only some lasers tighten skin and only some laser technology vaporizes the skin’s uppermost surface. First knowing the result you’re after gives you the direction for your next step, which is to explore treatments.
Laser Treatments and Their Goals
Our Westport office is equipped with multiple laser and light technologies. These include:
- LED (Light Emitting Diode) Photomodulation stimulates the body’s natural biorhythmic responses. Effective in treating rosacea, sun damage, and fine lines/ wrinkles with no downtime.
- The Clear + Brilliant® laser is optimized for preventing and addressing early signs of aging including skin firmness, texture, pore size, and elasticity.
- Blue Light laser therapy effectively treats mild to moderate acne by destroying the bacteria that causes breakouts.
- Laser Genesis gently addresses acne scarring as well as active acne. This treatment promotes the collagen remodeling to improve scarring as well as reduces redness on the areas of new acne lesions.
- ThermiSmooth, Thermage, and Protégé are each powered by radiofrequency energy that targets the dermis for collagen remodeling and contraction, leading to tighter, smoother skin.
- ThermiVa is a controlled radiofrequency platform developed to improve the symptoms of vaginal atrophy, including stress urinary incontinence, vaginal dryness, and laxity in the vaginal canal.
We’ve got the devices as well as the knowledge to help you rediscover your best skin through laser and light treatments. To schedule a consultation with us, call (203) 226-3600.