For all of us, the aging process is impossible to deny. Time, indeed, marches on. However, you don’t have to give in to Father Time’s effects on your skin…especially those fine lines and wrinkles.
Did you know… • Aging thins your skin so it becomes less elastic and more vulnerable to wrinkles. The sun’s harmful rays break down your skin’s connective tissue and those rays are the main cause of wrinkly skin. Repeated, unprotected sun exposure can also cause skin cancer. Keep in mind that the effects of the sun’s damaging rays are cumulative over your lifetime. • Wrinkles appear first around your mouth, eyes and eyebrows because of repeated facial expressions. Smiling is good but worrying is not. Those frown lines don’t need extra help to deepen.
Although wrinkles are a natural result of aging, there are some things you can do to keep them at bay:
- Stay indoors when the sun’s rays are at their most damaging, between noon and five p.m. And don’t tan in tanning beds…those rays are even more damaging to your skin.
- Applying sunscreen is one of the most important things you can do to prevent sun damage. Choose a product that is at least 30 SPF and re-apply often to your face, hands and neck.
- Use a moisturizer and eye cream every day. A retinol cream may also help reduce the appearance of fine lines.
- Don’t scrub or pull at your skin. Use a soft touch when washing your face and applying makeup, especially around your sensitive eye area.
- Smoking accelerates your body’s aging process and causes wrinkles to appear prematurely. So stop or cut back if you can.
Remember: Your skin is resilient…but you have to take care of it…every day.
If your wrinkles are deep and pronounced, now is the perfect time to consider one of our injectable dermal fillers, such as Radiesse™, Juvéderm®, Restylane® or Perlane®.
The Holidays are upon us! Call to book an appointment and let our team of specialists help you achieve a fresh and youthful look: 203.226.3600.